Hello World (Start Here)

Name: Dan Healy

Title: Full stack Ruby dev (and wannabe game developer)

How I got into Ruby:
In 2006/2007 I was working as a logic design engineer using Verilog, but I really wanted to try making a multiplayer game. I had a friend who worked at a big Flash game company, he suggested that I try working with him on a Rails app.

The app didn’t really work out and neither did the job, but I’d seen the light of open source software and there was no going back to discovering that you wasted 3 weeks of work because you missed the “this promised major hardware feature doesn’t actually work” entry at the end of a long errata sheet.

Three years and some odd side projects later, I started working as a Rails dev for a company in the Music / ticketing industry.

Other languages I love working in:
Verilog and RISC Assembly were pretty fun, I have to admit. Every other language I only use because I have to, usually Javascript and C/Obj-C.

Dev setup:
MacBook Pro 2012, I’m definitely due for an upgrade, but it does have 16GB ram and 512GB SSD.
Skylake i7
iPhone 7+, iPhone 5S, iPhone X^2 soon?
Apple TV 4
A very very cheap OEM android tablet
Atom
iTerm
I sat in about 50 office chairs before settling on a cheap one that “felt right”

Shameless plug: Currently looking for work!

Greetings all,

I’ve been programming for decades, working with more langs/platforms/techs than I can easily recall. For even longer, I’ve struggled with severe pain and illness, worsening as the years passed. About ten years ago, I quit almost all coding to deal with my health and shifted my focus to acting and movement arts training.

Steadily improving and now I’m taking a fresh look at whether and what development I might want to get back into. I stumbled on RubyMotion some years ago and knew I wanted to give it a go when I could. And selling through the App Store seems a very interesting possibility. Ruby fun! Rich macos/ios GUI! Endless struggles with arcane bits of generations of Apple SDKs… well, 2 out of three ain’t bad, eh?

It’s pretty funny how little pattern there is to what I remember and what I’ve completely forgotten. And what seems totally unfamiliar, then comes back to me in the middle of the night, 3 days later. :slight_smile: But my health is still my top priority, so I’m taking the time I need and keeping my caprice level set pretty high. Having a blast working through the various RubyMotion samples and tutorials. Just now, I’m all about the SpriteKit, me.

Currently, my main machine is an 11-inch MacBook Air. I’m using XCode for testing/fiddling with Swift/Obj-C samples from the net but Terminal and BBEdit for RubyMotion and Ruby. Just getting the hang of Git and Github (my, what, 5th revision control system? Honestly, a lot of years I just zipped my working directory every morning. Trying to do better. :-). Safari, all day every day — man, do I need to close some of these tabs!

I’m based in Toronto, Canada. And I don’t have a chair at the mo, I mostly stand or sit on the floor – though your discussions have reminded me I had a surprisingly comfortable kneeling chair years ago, so I’m thinking of giving that another shot.

Best wishes,

Cal

Name: Gustavo Beathyate

Path:
I took a programming class in college where I learnt Visual Basic 5 and discovered programming through it. I used VB into the initial .NET years but then I switched to a Mac, and I couldn’t keep using Visual Studio. So after a bit of time on PHP I saw a post on Apple’s website about TextMate and RoR and that was it. I bought RubyMotion the day it came out and used it for work for a couple of years, I’m currently only using RubyMotion as a hobby.

Other languages:
JS, no way around it.

Setup:
MacBook Pro 2017
iPhone 7
Atom

Hopefully web assembly will change that world forever (we’ll see though). This is an interesting realm with regards to RubyMotion. There is a compiler backend in LLVM (low level virtual machine) that can target web assembly. And RubyMotion is an LLVM compiler front end. So theoretically RubyMotion to LLVM IR (intermediate representation) to LLVM Web Assembly == profit!

That would be so great! I hadn’t really paid that much attention to Web Assembly but now I will.

Name: Brett Walker (digitalmoksha)

Title: Senior Software Developer

How I got into Ruby:

A friend of mine was talking about this Ruby and Rails things, back when Rails first started. As I was looking at the best way to build a new custom web application for someone, I found that I really liked Ruby. Before that I was working in C/C++ and some Java. Never did like working with PHP.

Shameless Plugs/Networking:

I write the macOS application, Versatil Markdown, using RubyMotion. Also have an old iOS app in RM, but it’s in serious need of some love.

Other languages:

I have worked with way too many languages, from Z80 assembler and FORTRAN on up. Although the latest iteration of Javascript is a huge step forward, have yet to enjoy working with it. Looking forward to learning Go at some point.

Dev setup:

2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
Dell 24" monitor
Jarvis standing desk (which is awesome)
TextMate
RubyMine
Sketch
Versatil Markdown
iTerm
Tower
Dash
Paw
etc

@digitalmoksha I just want to say Versatil Markdown is absolutely beautiful :slight_smile:

Name: Liu Lantao

How I got into Ruby:
In 2008 the year before I graduated, I was writing a rails website for students to sell/exchange their books.

Then I have been working as system administrator for ~10 years, I wrote tools to make the whole site work.

RubyMotion
I wrote a iOS app for students to connect to campus network gateway around 2011.
1 year later I decided to rewrite it with RubyMotionYes, I am the first group of people to use RubyMotion!
Now I am working on an macOS note app to help people learn and build vocabulary.

Dev setup

• MacBook Pro 15’’ mid 2015
  • iPhone 6P, iPad Pro 10.5’’
  • Terminal.app, zsh
  • Vim, Atom
  • Docker, rvm, fpm, nokogiri, Jekyll, markdown

Hi all,

I am legally blind and I would like to learn Ruby motion. I’m just wondering if there are any other blind program is out there using Ruby motion and wondering if they could give me some guides or courses that would enable me to learn how to use the commandline in macOS to create ruby motion applications. Thank you for any help in advance.

Regards,

Frank

@Frankie reach out to @austinseraphin, he may be able to help you out there. His contact page is: http://austinseraphin.com/contact/

Would you mind providing a link to the app (people may be interested).

Hi Frankie. I use a screen reader and successfully got an app in the App Store called Eyes-Free Fitness. Sadly it will go away at the end of the year but it had a good run and I learned a lot. Snag it while you can!

RubyMotion itself does everything on the command line, so has no issues. The simulator doesn’t work well, so you’ll have limited support in the simulator REPL. Device testing works well, especially now with REPL suppor, butt it does take a little longer. Really you should only do accessibility testing on a device anyway.

Honestly most of my issues came from Apple’s systems, such as App Store Connect. Use tools like motion-provisioning and the other Fastlane tools when possible. VoiceOver doesn’t have the best support for Terminal.app, so I usually ssh in from my Linux machine and do things that way. I use Emacs with a few customizations. I gave two talks at #inspect which you might enjoy.