Problem Building Project Using Rake

Upon creating the Hello project as instructed in the iOS starter guide, I have run the rake command within the Hello directory to build the project, but the project fails to build and I get the output shown below. I’m not sure as to what the issue is. I have installed the latest Xcode version (currently 9.2) and the latest free RubyMotion version (currently 5.7). Any help resolving this issue will be appreciated. Thanks.

Terminal output showing issue:

sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching '' sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file rake aborted! Failed to execute: "/Applications/" --output-format human-readable-text --notices --warnings --platform iphoneos --minimum-deployment-target 11.2 --target-device iphone --target-device ipad --app-icon 'AppIcon' --launch-image 'LaunchImage' --output-partial-info-plist '/Users/Nitish/Documents/Nitish's Files/IT Skills Practice/Ruby/RubyMotion/Hello/build/iPhoneSimulator-11.2-Development/AssetCatalog-Info.plist' --compress-pngs --compile "/Users/Nitish/Documents/Nitish's Files/IT Skills Practice/Ruby/RubyMotion/Hello/build/iPhoneSimulator-11.2-Development/" "/Users/Nitish/Documents/Nitish's Files/IT Skills Practice/Ruby/RubyMotion/Hello/resources/Assets.xcassets" /Library/RubyMotion/lib/motion/project/builder.rb:609:insilent_execute_and_capture’
/Library/RubyMotion/lib/motion/project/builder.rb:645:in compile_asset_bundles' /Library/RubyMotion/lib/motion/project/builder.rb:412:inbuild’
/Library/RubyMotion/lib/motion/project/app.rb:78:in build' /Users/Nitish/.rubymotion/rubymotion-templates/motion/project/template/ios.rb:69:inblock (2 levels) in <top (required)>’
/Users/Nitish/.rubymotion/rubymotion-templates/motion/project/template/ios.rb:179:in block in <top (required)>' /Users/Nitish/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/rake-12.3.0/exe/rake:27:in<top (required)>’
/Users/Nitish/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15:in eval' /Users/Nitish/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15:in'
Tasks: TOP => build:simulator

Try these things:

1. Open up Xcode and make sure there aren’t any ansillary downloads that need to occur (if there is, then they’ll show up right when you open XCode.

2. Run sudo xcode-select --reset from the terminal. Then try running rake again.

Let me know if you’re still stuck after that. We’ll figure it out :slight_smile:

Hi. Thank you for your help.

I have installed the full Xcode package, so it doesn’t seem as though there is anything else I may need to download.

I’ve run the sudo xcode-select --reset command from the terminal, but rake failed to build the project and it shows the same error output I had posted above.

It may be the apostrophe in the file path.

Try this:

mkdir ~/projects
cd ~/projects
motion create HelloWorld
cd HelloWorld

That is indeed the issue :slight_smile: I’ve changed the name of my file and it now works. Thanks for your help!