RubyMotion is still alive?

Hello everyone,
I know about the existence of RubyMotion for a few years, but I never use it or tested.
I am thinking to try RubyMotion for an new application in the company where I work.

I have been reading the documentation everything seems very interesting, and I really like the idea of Redpotion and Bluepotion.

But I’m worried about the community, the popularity of the project and the development.
Nowadays comparing RubyMotion with alternatives like ReactNative etc … what is the rubyMotion position?

I have not even been able to find RubyMotion in the list of recommendations in all new articles (newer than 2016)

All the examples on your website are 3-4 or 5 years old (which makes me think that there is nothing new since then or the project is stopped or nobody is worried about the project)

If you visit the page http://www.rubymotion.com/about/ there is nothing new since 2014 (4 years ago, which gives me an image of a very abandoned project).

In http://www.rubymotion.com/news/ I have not found anything interesting, I have only found 6 old news, some of them with a link to a nonexistent image.

Also I have not been able to find any list of good applications or big enough that use RubyMotion.

And what I did not expect is to see the forum empty. ( Does anyone use rubymotion? )

And many more things like these.

When I remembered that RubyMotion exits and I started reading the documentaicon and doing local tests I thought that I have found the perfect solution, but seeing all these details that make me think that the project is abandoned or only worries about charging the money to the people who use it … Probably I’ll opt for NativeScript or ReactNative.

Any comment? Experience? Or some information that can make me decide for RubyMotion?

The project seems interesting to me but very stopped since 2014.
I do not know if it is abandoned or the person in charge is not very good in marketing.

How does the development of RubyMotion continue?

Any comment or experience would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Most heavy users are over at https://motioneers.herokuapp.com. Join us and say hi.

Yep, it is still here (never went away), and is still being updated. There was a bit of a pause when RubyMotion went through a change of ownership/stewardship, so for the most part I think what you are seeing are third party remnants and the slow update of the widely scattered articles and web pages as Amir has been consolidating things.

This list seems a bit thin due to some problems with the last host (see the pinned Hello World topic) and now everyone is on Slack, but the community has stayed fairly active, as far as toolchains go.

The Ruby language, the object model being almost identical to Objective-C (which the various Cocoa/Cocoa Touch frameworks are still dependent on, despite Swift), drop-in C and Obj-C libraries, and not needing to use the Xcode IDE make RubyMotion a no-brainer for me, and I’m not even a professional developer. YMMV, so it depends on what you are looking for.

As for NativeScript or ReactNative, I suppose that depends on your tastes as well - personally, I think javascript is an ugly language and not fun at all, despite being very popular.

Alive and well :slight_smile:

The forum was rebooted a couple of weeks ago. Here is the archive.

Hi guys,

I am in a similar position as @RTJ, I’ve known about RubyMotion for a few years, and as a Ruby dev I’d love to write mobile apps in Ruby… but the project seems really dead/abandoned by all standards.
Last tweet and blog post were in February 2018 and only a few posts in this forum since March 2018.
Also, you never hear about RubyMotion in the Ruby or webdev community, not a single post like “look at this great app I built with RubyMotion”.
A Slack workspace for support is great, but a bit of “marketing” (or really just signs of life) are much more important. As it is right now, I (and probably a lot of other Ruby devs) won’t use RubyMotion out of fear that we waste our time getting into a system that turns out to be abandoned…

What did you think of the blog entry from February?

It’s great to have guiding principles, but I would find it much more valuable and interesting to read regular blog posts about new features, see new samples (the last update in https://github.com/HipByte/RubyMotionSamples is from Februar 2017) or maybe even a development roadmap for the next months.
Is there any place to see what the current and previous versions are and when they were released?

Maybe it’s useful to dump motion changelog along with a timestamp somewhere, @amirrajan?

This is great feedback. Thank you. I’ve made a note of this and will definitely do a post with each release and what’s coming down the pipe.

I’ll put this on the site somewhere. This is a good idea in general I feel.

@zoopzoop based on your feedback, I’ve posted a new blog entry. Let me know what you think: RubyMotion Moving Forward - One Year Later.

Sincerely speaking, here. Let’s stop this “is RubyMotion is still alive” non-sense
(of course it’s alive, battle hardened, and doing well). Keep the feedback coming. I’ll keep improving the platform and incorporating everything I learn with every new app I release.

Hi @amirrajan,

Thanks, I put my feedback in a Gist since I can only post 2 links per post here as a new member: https://gist.github.com/manuelmeurer/d8f29185b653412ed5d17c6649e18464

Sincerely speaking, here. Let’s stop this “is RubyMotion is still alive” non-sense.

I’m not sure this is the right attitude. It people sign up to this forum to post this question here, it seems to be a valid concern. I know it certainly is for me.
In the end, it’s your project though and your decision how to market it. As you mentioned in the post, you dislike marketing in the conventional sense. I’m not sure RubyMotion will be able to reach it’s full potential without some old-school marketing though… would it be an option to get someone else on board to do the marketing-part? Just an idea…

I’ll add links to the meetup, and repos to the new entry :+1:

As for the repos being part of my personal account, one of RubyMotion’s (my) guiding principals is “People over Entities”. So the repos will continue to stay under my GitHub handle. Again just my personal preference, what’s more official than the CEO/Owner of the company having the repos under him?

I completely understand why you initially posted. The question now is have I addressed that concern? If not, then what else should I update? As I said in the news entry:

If you’re looking for a “safe” commodity toolchain, backed by a “safe” large corporation (who doesn’t care about your success, nor the tiny line-item the toolchain represents on their balance sheet), look elsewhere. RubyMotion isn’t for you. If your sole motivation is to check the “we have a cross-platform mobile app” checkbox for your company, look elsewhere. RubyMotion isn’t for you.

Again, I’m trying my best to keep a firm, kind tone (albeit not very nice). RubyMotion isn’t for everyone. It really is important to me that the people who use RubyMotion are trying to build successful apps in the company of others who have built successful apps (more so than the guise of safety from using a toolchain built by a large corporation).

Let me know what else you’d like to see changed :+1:

Aside: I’m more than happy to have a Hangout session with the decision makers at your company too. And talk about any reservations you may have. Lemme know :tada:

@zoopzoop I took the suggestions in your gist and have updated the news entry. Feedback please :tada:

Reference to the post: http://www.rubymotion.com/news/2018/05/13/one-year-later.html

I had similar concerns about RubyMotion, but after joining the Slack forum for RubyMotion (highly recommended) and chatting with Amir, I’m convinced that RM is alive and moving forward.

There’s tons of information out there about RM and how to do development with it. It’s just not pulled together with a nice little bow.

It seems to be a very robust, stable platform. Ruby is a great language, and the cross-platform abilities of RubyMotion are very real based on my experiments.

I do wish it had support for Windows applications or WebAssembly to round things out. Still, the Ruby language is available on just about every platform anyhow.

I suspect RM is used for lots of internal projects more than mass market applications. Yet, it’s nice to know that real applications have shipped to the App Store that were written with RubyMotion. Apple is pretty finicky, so that’s a big plus.

As you ask questions on the Motioneers forum, people come out of the woodwork to answer your questions. In fact, it has been a bit overwhelming. And Amir is incredible and very committed to the product.

I suggest you stay tuned as Amir puts the infrastructure in place for RubyMotion’s continued growth.

As for me, I’ve decided to do a major project with RubyMotion since I think it’s uniquely positioned for cross-platform applications on iOS, macOS, watchOS and Android. For Windows, I’m leaning toward straight Ruby.

@billsmith you kind words mean a lot :+1:

Be sure to post your “bio” in Hello World (Start Here)

It’s always good to have a registry of people with unique skills that others can reach out to (and heck even find some gigs through). Even skills outside of RM (for example “we’ve got a guy” with a background in legal). Just knowing someone that you can potentially trust goes a really long way to helping everyone succeed.

My goal with this “registry” is to answer the “I’m worried about hiring issues” concern. The registry will grow, networks will grow, and soon we’ll have expertise in all weird verticals. I don’t know everything, so I try my best to have a person you can go to or hell/high-water find someone (and at least be a good Steward that way).

Just a few thoughts, because I asked myself the same question. I just had to update a rubymotion app which has been working nicely for 4 years, but because of changes in iOS 11.x I had to make some changes.

• When googling “rubymotion changelog” (was the first thing I did, because it installed on my macbook) the first proper result is a changelog from 2016. I think having a public changelog somewhere would be really helpful.
  • bubble-wrap (which is a pretty common library if I understand correctly) was last updated in 2016, with 12 pull requests open. Some of those (https://github.com/rubymotion/BubbleWrap/pull/493) were fixes to issues I was running into. It surprised me that this library (which is under the rubymotion-team on github) isn’t maintained.
  • The latest released version of motion-provisioning does not work when you have 2FA enabled. You have to use the latest master. It took me some time to figure this out, because the error messages were quite cryptic.

I just had an overall feeling that the ecosystem is not very active, with most dependencies I use not having seen an update in over a year, and several issues / PR open in all the repositories.

That said, it was an quick and easy update, and my app is now running without bugs on the latest iOS versions.

Hey @fschwahn, I did a news release at the beginning of these year detail all the activity in RM. Here is a link to that.

The short version is RM has been tracking at a release per month since 2017.

I just had an overall feeling that the ecosystem is not very active

The community has mostly paired everything down to using ProMotion (for learning the ropes), motion-support for some batteries included class patches, and motion-provisioning for small teams (I’m surprised to hear that the latest version is giving you issues with 2FA). So:

1. Some gems are not active because they are “done”/good enough (feel free to fork and contribute if you feel that’s not the case).
  2. Some gems have been deemed no longer needed and the general recommendation there is “use the native offerings for each platform because RM is part of the greater mobile community”.
  3. Some gems are dormant and need love (but that’s up to the community to maintain and expand, specifically BubbleWrap).

That said, it was an quick and easy update, and my app is now running without bugs on the latest iOS versions.

This point is worth emphasizing. RM is “done” (with emphasis being put on making things “3 by 3” faster and expanding the ruby language itself). We have matured past the “gem of the week” cycle, and with that comes with a large number of projects becoming dormant, “done”, or didn’t-make-the-cut/abandoned over the past decade.

PR open in all the repositories

I’ve written briefly about the challenges of sustainability in open source. This problem is systemic I feel, and there needs to be (for lack of a better term) “upheaval” with regards to the expectations of primary OSS maintainers and their relationship to those that consume/use their project.

I’m slowly open sourcing parts of RubyMotion in the spirit of sustainability, in so much that there will be a path for those to come in as complete beginners, grow, and eventually contribute to complex parts of the project.

This “upheaval” conversion is a very difficult one to have. But with many maintainers feeling completely overworked (recent examples being OpenSSL’s heartbleed, and the Magit KickStarter), I feel we’ve reached a point of criticality. Just not sure how to move forward from here (yet).